Alright so for those of you who don’t know I have cut out beef from our diet since we discovered our daughter has a sensitivity to bovine protein. With this change we are always on the lookout for changes to our meal plan. Although we have discovered some great veggie burgers, and I mean great, nothing tops the portobello when it comes to burgers.
Not only do these mushrooms taste great but they also help fight off Alzheimer’s Disease according to World’s Healthiest foods. If your interested in learning more on its great nutritional value check out this link at Livestrong.
This is a super easy and quick meal so if your short on time whip this up and everyone will be satisfied. The only challenge in our house is working on getting the girls to give it a try. Currently Jorja has a burger minus the mushroom, so I guess I should call that an Avocado Burger.
- Whole Portobello Mushrooms
- One Avocado Divided in in half lengthwise. Slice the one half in to narrow slices for use on the burger. The remainder is for the Avocado Yogurt.
- One Whole Tomato Sliced
- Cheese. Preferably Monterrey Jack or Old Chedder.
- Roasted Red Peppers (Optional)
- Bread or Burger Buns based on the number of mushrooms cooked
- Brush a full mushroom with stem removed with Extra Virgin Olive Oil lightly.
- Add the mushroom to a large frying pan on medium heat.
- Add about 4 tablespoons of water to the pan and place a lid over the mushrooms. Although the mushrooms contain lots of water by adding the water you retain the tenderness and moisture within the mushroom.
- Cook for approx. 4 minutes aside or until desired.
- Remove the lid add sliced cheese. Cover the Mushroom if you desire to melt the cheese.
- Brush both sides of bread with either a Garlic Mayo or Avocado Yougurt.
- Add roasted red peppers, Avocado and tomato.
- Mash other half of avocado
- Add 1/2 tablespoon of crushed garlic
- Add 2 tablespoons of yogurt. (We use coconut yogurt because of Jorja)
- Mix all of the ingredients